For the donut mix
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 ounces Xocolatl Chef's Chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 teaspoon Xocolatl vanilla-cacao extract
For the Chocolate Hazelnut Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 T Xocolatl Chocolate Hazlenut Spread
2 1/2 T Milk
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add finely chopped chef's chocolate. Whisk the chocolate and butter until melted and well combined (or leave a few chunks!) Stir in the sugar and egg yolk, and then whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla-cacao extract.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
4. Spray your donut pan with cooking spray and then fill each cavity half way. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for a minute or two before transferring them to a cooling rack.
5. To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, hazelnut spread, and milk. If you'd like a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar (starting with 1-2 T at a time) and if you prefer thinner glazes, add milk until you get to your desired consistency.
6. Frost the cooled donuts and garnish with chopped hazelnuts or chocolate shavings.
-Our recipe was adapted from A Cozy Kitchen. Enjoy!-