Front of House/Farmers Market/Demo Staff
Who We Are
Xocolatl (chock-oh-lah-tul) Small Batch Chocolate is a bean-to-bar, craft chocolate company based in Atlanta. We are helmed by husband and wife founders Elaine Read and Matt Weyandt who started the company in 2014 with a micro-factory and retail space at Krog Street Market and an office + test kitchen one block away. We are a staff of 14, including sales and production personnel. Our chocolate is available at our factory shop, online, at local Farmers Markets, and at various retailers around Atlanta and beyond and is used as an ingredient in food and beverages in various restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops and ice cream shops around town.
Xocolatl Small Batch Chocolate sources raw cacao beans from small-holder farms and farmer cooperatives in South and Central America and East Africa. We endeavor to follow a do-no-harm approach to how we operate our business, which guides us in our purchasing of cacao that is sustainably grown, ethically traded for and which we can transform into a food that sustains rather than diminishes our customers’ happiness and health. This approach also guides us in how we work to build a company that contributes positively to our community of employees, to the various communities in Atlanta and the communities that grow the ingredients on which we depend.
Purpose: As the first and main point of contact customers will have with Xocolatl, FOH/Farmers Market/Demo Staff must embody the personality and values of the company: friendly, down-to-earth, knowledgeable without pretension and with an eye constantly on how the potential customer is experiencing the company from all touch points.
The main goal of FOH/Farmers Market/Demo Staff is to educate customers about bean-to-bar chocolate, two-ingredient chocolate and single-origin chocolate. This education needs to be thoughtful and customer-driven. Combined with an appealing display of the products and an embodiment of the company’s values, this education should result in strong sales and repeat/referred customers.
Front of House shifts are at our Micro-Factory and retail shop at Krog Street Market. Farmers Market shifts are at various locations around Atlanta. Demo shifts are sampling chocolate at various wholesale partners around the Atlanta area. Farmers Market and Demo shifts require a vehicle and the ability to transport supplies (Farmers Market tent, table, chocolate samples, table decorations, etc). The ideal candidate will be available for FOH, Farmers Market, and Demo shifts, however candidates without vehicles are still able to apply for the FOH position. Must be available for some weekend and weekday scheduling. Full and part-time positions available.
Please submit resume and cover letter stating your availability to email@example.com.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Bring a spark of joy to all customers by greeting them and offering chocolate samples.
- Complete shift sidework including prepping the workspace, monitoring levels of supplies, and maintaining a clean and attractive retail space.
- With direction from management, arrange displays with the goal of increasing the visual appeal of the storefront/tent/table in order to increase overall sales, especially via spur of the moment add-ons, up-sales and to drive sales of particular items as needed.
- Price-tag items and add them to POS system as needed.
- Provide input to management on other options/suppliers/products to sell.
- Maintain all signage so that prices are clear to customers and that the signs reflect current items and are written “in brand”.
- Constantly up-keep FOH appearance/functionality; make sure shelves are constantly stocked and that shelving, storage & counter space are effectively used so as to not have spillover/irrelevant items on display. Constantly have a customer’s perspective on the space.
- Manage and maintain a supply of samples to drive sales.
- For Farmers Market & Demo shifts, prepare in advance all samples, products, signage, props & displays (including tea and drinking chocolate).
- For Farmers Market shifts, log starting inventory & starting bank before each market and reconcile the ending inventory & cash at the end of each market. Restock any remaining inventory at KSM and clean sample dishes/tongs & drinking thermoses.
- For Farmers Market & Demo shifts, arrive at markets with enough time to be checked in by the market managers & to be able to set up before the market opens.
- Support production as needed. This includes wrapping bars, packaging other items and wiping down molds.
- Maintain Xocolatl’s standard of excellence, which is that every customer deserves, and is paying for, a high quality item and that each and every item is a reflection of the brand.
- Cleaning the FOH at the end of every shift, cleaning floors, tidying displays, restocking for the next shift prior to leaving.
- Attend once-monthly all-staff meetings, regular FOH meetings (scheduling TBD but likely weekly or every other week) and individual meetings.
- For Sunday closers, rub counter down with mineral oil and remove all items off the counter.
- Seek continuing education on bean-to-bar chocolate production and trends within the industry.